|Contact Information||Location / Address|
|Phone: .. 231-882-0016
FAX: ........ 231-882-0167
448 Court Place
Beulah, MI 49617
|Amy J. Bissell – Registrar
Paula Eberhart – Chief Deputy Registrar
Trish Plont - Deputy
|Monday — Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
As of June 8, 2020 the Benzie County Register of Deeds is open to the public. MASKS ARE REQUIRED TO ENTER THE BUILDING. We are fully staffed from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to process recording and service the public. Title Examiners still require an appointment. This is for your convenience so there is not a wait to use the records. We appreciate your cooperation and patience. There is also a drop box located at the main enterance of the Government Center for your use. You may call the number listed above during these hours as well. Please see below for a fee chart if you are sending a document in for recording. Our address is listed above.
Register of Deeds
- Recording of legal documents including: warranty deeds, quit claim deeds, mineral deeds, administrator, tax and sheriff's deed's, mortgages, assignment of mortgages, discharge of mortgages, patents, oil and gas leases, subdivisions (plats) and restrictions, rights of way, various liens including State and federal tax liens, circuit court orders, probate orders, and wills where real property is concerned, condominium documents, surveys, and land corner and remonumentation records.
- The Register of Deeds collects the Michigan State Transfer Tax.
- Specific document searches. See fee schedule below.
- Collection of State Remonumentation Fees.
- Acceptance agent for processing U.S. passport applications.
The Register of Deeds office maintains an index and copy of all recorded documents pertaining to real property located within the county. The Register of Deeds also serves as Chairman of the County Plat Board which reviews and approves all new subdivisions within the County. Duties of the office are defined by State Statue. All records in the Register of Deeds office are in a grantor/grantee indexing system. Pre-1982 indexes are in book form and 1982 — present are computerized.
Recordings may be done in person or by mail with sufficient fees. Copy requests must be accompanied by self-addressed stamped envelopes.
This office is the local acceptance agency for U.S. passports.
All documents, regardless of the number of pages cost $30.00 to record. For documents that assign or discharge more than 1 instrument, $3.00 must be added for each instrument so assigned or discharged. Copies of real estate records are $1.00 per page and an additional fee to certify a document is $5.00.
Warranty Deeds, Deeds containing a covenant of warranty, Land Contracts, Assignments of Land Contract with a warranty clause, Master Deed for Condominium must have a tax certificate from the County Treasurer's Office. MCLA 211.135
Tax Certificate - For up to five (5) descriptions - $5.00 per instrument
Each additional description - 20 cents
- Identity Crime:
Online Search Function:
- Laredo Online – search land records (subscription based). If interested, please contact Amy or Paula at the Register of Deeds Office 231-882-0016.
- Tapestry - search land records (fee based)
Related Web Links
- Michigan Real Estate Transfer Tax - MCL 207.505 Sec 5 (County) MCL 207.526 Sec. 6 (State)
- Real Estate Transfer Tax — Exemptions
- Recording Requirements — Requirements for recording with register of deeds
- State Real Estate Transfer Tax Act — Written instruments and transfers of property exempt from tax
- U.S. Department of State: Travel.State.Gov - Passports