Networks Northwest Community Development staff planners are assisting Benzie County with the update of the County's Natural Hazard Mitigation Plan. Hazard mitigation planning reduces loss of life and property by minimizing the impact of natural disasters. Regularly updated and FEMA-approved hazard mitigation plans allow a community to remain eligible for various federally-funded hazard mitigation grant opportunities for five years.
Benzie County is in phase 1 of this update, which includes data collection and community input from all local jurisdictions in Benzie County. Your participation in this plan update is vital to the success of the planning process. We are seeking input on past projects, hazard events in your community, and potential strategies that you would like to see considered in the plan.
Benzie County Office of Emergency Management on Facebook
Location / Address
448 Court Place
Beulah, MI 49617
The role of Benzie County Emergency Management is to protect the lives and property of citizens before a disaster strikes through preparedness, training and mitigation, and to reduce human suffering after a disaster strikes through prompt and effective coordination of the County's response and recovery efforts utilizing the expertise and resources of federal, state, local agencies and voluntary relief organizations.
Rebecca Hubers has become the new Emergency Management Coordinator for Benzie County effective July 15, 2019. Rebecca comes with 19 years experience as a Conservation Officer for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. During her career in the MDNR, she has participated in multiple incident command training sessions, has been involved in multiple search and rescue missions and has served as a valued team member for other natural disaster responses.
Chemical Emergency Response
- Emergency Response Guidebook-The U.S. Department of Transportation Guidebook contains emergency response protocols for specific chemicals and includes fire & explosion hazards and evacuation perimeters.
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards-The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Handbook contains General industrial hygiene information on hundreds of chemicals/classes.
- Emergency Room Procedures in Chemical Hazard Emergencies-A "Job Aid" for Emergency Room Personnel to fololow when dealing with chemical agents.
- Emergency Preparedness and Response Listing of Chemical Agents-Alisting of chemical agents typicall used in attacks against persons.
Related Web Links
- Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA)
- State of Michigan Emergency Management
- National Weather Service Office-Gaylord
- Benzie County Office of Emergency Management on Facebook
Benzie County Emergency Services Web and Facebook Pages
- Almira Township Fire and EMS
- Almira Township Fire and EMS (Facebook)
- Benzie County Central Dispatch
- Benzie County Emergency Medical Services
- Benzie County Sheriff's Office
- Benzonia Township Fire Department (Facebook)
- City of Frankfort Fire Department
- City of Frankfort Fire Department (Facebook)
- City of Frankfort Police Department
- Homestead Township Fire Department (Facebook)
- Inland Township Fire Department
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (Laws and Policies)
- Thompsonville Fire and Rescue (Facebook)